Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Installation of Community Involvement





















Description:

The site is a public park which has a small concert venue a nd plenty of open green space. The issues I have discovered with the site are that it is beautiful, but not used often enough. As the first stage of my project I tried to bring people into the site by asking them what they would want to see there. I placed posters and advertisements in and around the site asking people for advice as to what they would like to see at the park, and that would make them interact with the site. Just by placing the questioners in strategic places, like the bench or the commemorative post, I activated the site. People entered the park curious about the posting a nd other people’s response to the question. I checked daily on the writings. Some of the s uggestions included:

-
altering the view from across the river of the oil tanks

- repair and use the fountain to uplift the community

- playground for kids

- sculptures and music

- avenue like Washington Park in Manhattan (music, plays, bbq’s)

All the responses were very interesting and helpful. Some of them repeated, maybe affected by what people

already said, and one out of about 20 responses said to keep it the way it is.

In the second part of the project I was going to attempt on weekly bases to fulfill the wishes of those future happy park users. Unfortunately this semester I ran out of time, but it certainly is a good possible material for my theses project in the future.

No comments: